Yours Truly

My photo
New York, NY, United States
I'm your everyday, quintessential, slightly above average [pseudo] celebrity/poet/author/executive and personal assistant /voice actor who's talented, creative, charming, some-what funny individual who is indescribable in words. In short, I'm the person you never thought existed until you know me in your own special way.

Monday, January 3, 2011

Somebody's Nobody: Good, But Not Good Enough

I consider myself Classic Chic; meaning I'm modern with an old-fashioned foundation. I know things change with time; I embrace trends, I like to be up-to-date. However, with this flexibility and adaptability, I believe that certain foundations and principles should maintain their basic values over time.

Relationships.

As the songs goes, 'nice work if you can get it.'

I believe in flirting. I believe in dating. I believe in knowing someone's name (first and last) before they are all-up-in your bakery tasting your cookies. Yes, I'm a believer in a lot of things Romantic. But, that's just me...figuratively speaking, but it also appears to be literally speaking. No one dates any more and people run from relationships like it's the plague or their income taxes. I was actually involved in a conversation recently where someone shared two things: 1) they didn't date and 2) they were frightened when someone asked them out on a date. I mean...really? Stupid is as stupid does, but how silly-fied can you be?

I guess exceptionally silly, because this leads me to my next point...open relationships. What...in...the...ham sandwich...!? What is an open relationship? What's the purpose? Nothing says "I'm good, but not good enough" better than an open [long-term] relationship. The open relationships I've seen aren't even valuable enough to be "of convenience." The investment will never yield a return. So, why are so many people playing this role? (For feigned convenience. To say they have someone.) What's to get from it? (Stress. Disrespect. Drama.) Would insight offer any learning value?

Many open relationships seem to be one-sided; one-partner agrees to keep the other partner in their lives. Listen to me, some things (and some people) aren't worth holding on to. If you have to suffer, lower your standards, or change your beliefs...let them go. They have a power over you and are using it to their advantage. Someone having power over you creates defiance; when you're defiant...it's time to get moving. Never get trapped in love with someone who doesn't think you're somebody special.

If you're in an open relationship, be smart about it; make sure the partnership is equal...you're each getting what you want out of the arrangement (I like "arrangement" better than "relationship"; going back to my 'old-fashioned' foundation).

Somebody's Nobody is Anybody's Fool. Stop being Somebody's Nobody and start being Someone to Somebody.

No comments:

Post a Comment