Yours Truly

My photo
New York, NY, United States
I'm your everyday, quintessential, slightly above average [pseudo] celebrity/poet/author/executive and personal assistant /voice actor who's talented, creative, charming, some-what funny individual who is indescribable in words. In short, I'm the person you never thought existed until you know me in your own special way.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Sex and NYC

Picture it:
Manhattan 2009...

Sex is free, yet prostitution is making a comeback. Commitments are priceless; yet no one wants one. Mastercard isn’t what it used to be, and AMEX Black is no longer plastic. In a society of short attention spans and iPods, the decision to get to know someone on a deeper level is made in less than 29 seconds, and “something better will come along” is the norm mentality….is Love On Lay-A-Way the new trend? Is this just an NYC thing? Or have people actually lost their damn minds?

There are those who enjoy being single because they are good at it (I don’t understand that logic, either, but I’ve jumped to my own conclusion—essentially, it’s the new PC/don’t-wanna-label-myself-way of saying “playa”); those who don’t have the time because they are focusing on their career (is it just me or is time management a key element to success?); and those who want the benefits of love, but not the work involved with it. Ironically, these are primarily the ones who scour through the throngs of those just like them who offer easy, readily available, no-strings-attached satisfaction that may be accompanied by other unwanted, embarrassing, and contagious gifts. Among this group are those offering to make “donations” for sex and those “actively seeking” contributions and contributors--both ends of this spectrum contain a high number of financial services people…FYI.

What happened to the days of dating, romance, and arranged marriages; the days when people believed in love and took a chance on getting to know someone? You know, the days when bootycalls had standards. Now, it’s “you’re free, I’m free…let’s have some fun and I may ask you your name later.”

I know people say I have high standards and am bourgeois. I say…I deserve and demand the best. Louis Vuitton and Barneys are open to the public, but that doesn’t mean everyone should shop there. If you’re still lost, let me put it to you this way: the milk is free once you buy the cow…and you get burgers and steak at no extra cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment