Yours Truly

My photo
New York, NY, United States
I'm your everyday, quintessential, slightly above average [pseudo] celebrity/poet/author/executive and personal assistant /voice actor who's talented, creative, charming, some-what funny individual who is indescribable in words. In short, I'm the person you never thought existed until you know me in your own special way.

Saturday, June 25, 2011

((M+M) + (W+W)) x NY = What's Next?

Now that my fellow same-sex loving New Yorkers can legally (30 days after the signing of the bill?) state those vows and say "I do"....What's next? I'm concerned; very concerned.

I imagine, in the beginning and over the course of a year, an influx of people to the state of New York to get married and an impressive amount of NY'ers legally declaring their love for their partners. With that, I wonder how much of the stereotypes will come true and if the anticipated staggering amounts of revenue will really begin to be generated.

Stereotypes including ginormous, extravagant, and lavish weddings...which will likely be more like major, headlining events; as you know...[a lot of my people] have a tendency to be "extra," attention-grabbing, and straight-up over-the-fabulous-top! In the entertainment/television industry, I can only imagine how many same-sex wedding (and wedding planner) reality shows will be pitched next week and which will be the first network to get a show on the air. If the gay Sexy and the City 2 wedding [video]was any inclination as to what we have to look forward to, this is going to be an interesting and blinding journey. A few friends and I have discussed how outlandish this could be; we know there will be some vying to out-do the next with extremeness and over-the-top gaudiness...and we all know that usually equates to tacky-squared. The Battle for the Biggest/Best Gay Wedding is on! IMAGINE!!! And within NYC, "pop-ups" are the new it thing: stores/shops, restaurants; just to name a few. If I see any pop-up wedding alters, I promise you I'm going to scream like a banshee....and dare somebody to Facebook or YouTube the video.



While I hate to play the devil's advocate (but you know I gladly will), let's not forget that (unfortunately) with same-sex weddings will come the same-sex divorces. Forget reality tv...for these moments, I anticipate books and feature films! You know we can be some greedy, vengeful, ruthless, and fierce b*@ches when crossed, so when we're fighting each other...blockbuster fireworks. The spite, the hate, the you-did-me-wrongs.....chiiiiile, heterosexuals haven't seen a nasty divorce, yet. (Somebody pop me some popcorn!) Cannot wait to see who starts World War 6 (Sir Elton John? Ricky Martin? Ellen DeGeneres? Some local NYer we don't know but will wish were our best friend?)! Sadly [inserted to show a little tenderness and public concern and compassion], I do envision a higher divorce rate among same-sex marriages (especially in the beginning), because I believe many will make the journey to Marriedland because we can, to be one of the firsts, and for all the wrong reasons (i.e., not knowing their partner well enough, not loving themselves first, and not knowing REAL love).

Alas, que sera sera....we and many others will be watching.

For those of you are wondering about me and my wedding, I hope you've read "Before I Say 'I Do'".

No comments:

Post a Comment