Yours Truly

My photo
New York, NY, United States
I'm your everyday, quintessential, slightly above average [pseudo] celebrity/poet/author/executive and personal assistant /voice actor who's talented, creative, charming, some-what funny individual who is indescribable in words. In short, I'm the person you never thought existed until you know me in your own special way.

Monday, February 21, 2011

Facebook: From Social Network to Social Activist?

Facebook never ceases to amaze; from social network to advertising platform to celebrity fan club to....social activism? When minor things (even simple developments and improvements) make me smile; you know something is up or I've twisted something in some sick way. But, Honey-Chile, a few days ago...Monsieur Facebook touched my spirit and warmed my soul.

Now, thanks to Facebook's new relationship status options (which according to USA Today, gay users give tremendous applause -- I guess you have to be in that particular subset. I'm in a subset of my own celebrating for another reason.); not only do we get to see when people are dumped publicly (as we discussed in "Break-Ups"), but we also get to see how people reclassify their personal situations when selecting a new relationship status: "in a domestic partnership," "in a civil union," and so on. But, you know me, I can't wait to see who goes from being involved in something to being "single" and who moves from being in something to "it's complicated" -- a personal favorite. Perhaps I should go from "single" to "it's complicated"? Cause, as most of us single-folk know...at times, it can be all-out rough and unattractive.

On a deeper note, I sincerely hope this latest move/improvement by Facebook encourages folks to take an honest look at their lives and their 'relationships,' to see (and define) what they really have in their possession. Evaluate! I know of many who are involved in situations they should not be; those who are settling for something far lesser than what they want and deserve; and those who are holding on to something that truly amounts to absolutely nothing. Stop wasting your time, stop wasting your energy; stop wasting your life.

This is especially dedicated to all of my lovelies who are caught-up in some scenario that has influenced them to have their relationship status as "it's complicated." I ask you two things:
  1. Why is it complicated?
  2. Why in 2011 on this green Earth are you still in that complicated situation?
If it's complicated; get the hell out. Do better! Do you! As for those in the "open relationships"...please enlighten me. I must be miss something, because I don't see the point...but we'll visit O-R's later.

For all the haters; yes, I know...I am single. Partly because I refuse to settle and partly because I will not be in a complicated situation that holds no value and is complicated for no reason.

I know my own worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment