Yours Truly

My photo
New York, NY, United States
I'm your everyday, quintessential, slightly above average [pseudo] celebrity/poet/author/executive and personal assistant /voice actor who's talented, creative, charming, some-what funny individual who is indescribable in words. In short, I'm the person you never thought existed until you know me in your own special way.

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Sing My Song: formerly known as "yet another 'untitled'"

UPDATED: 4/27/11

Normally, my work is inspired by events, happenings, and situations in my life -- okay, my love life...or lack thereof. This piece is no different; although, it does represent a time in the past. What essentially encouraged this poem to be "Penn'd" was an idea discussed via Twitter between me and two red-carpet-ready friends (whom shall remain nameless); BUT, I'll give you a hint: one is a "Child of God" and the other is a "YouTube DJ" (via Facebook). There was an original title, but now after the piece has been written; the original title doesn't seem to be as fitting.

I present to you...

SING MY SONG

Lovers, like friends
They come and they go
I remember the moment I met you
I know the moment I lost you
Now is the moment I should stop loving you


Baby I know I deserve a greater man
But there are things about being in love I’ve yet to understand
Crazy how I’ll get down on my knees and beg you, please
Baby please don’t leave
When it’s what I need you to do
For the day to come when I open my eyes and realize
You’re not that golden prize
Curse me for the halo I placed upon your head
Sacrificed my happiness for a love you wouldn’t give
Lost my soul just to see you smile
And to be in your presence, if only for a little while
Honey, why can’t I let go
When you want to be somewhere else
Why can’t I let go
When I need to free myself
Baby why
Why can’t I just let go
When your love
It will never grow
It will never show
And it's Your Love I’ll never know
I walk towards you; you pull away
I aim to kiss you; your eyes turn gray
And your lips say it’s not okay
Your stare looks straight through me
Your hands never touch my body
I try to protect you from the winter cold
But your feelings for me, boy I’ve never been told
You’re next to me; you’re everywhere I turn
You’ll give me nothing; I’ve come to learn
Your warmth is chilling; unnervingly
Empty-handedness doesn't work for me
Neither a rock I can run to
Nor a shoulder I can lean on
If you won’t be my angel; you won't be my hero
Someone tell me why
Why I'd rather die then let you go
I want you; I need you near
Don’t break my heart
Simply do your best; play your part
Talk to me
Tease me
Whisper
Sweetly
Gently...in my ear
Tell me baby...why you here?



Mad love, respect, and appreciation to those who provided comments and/or suggested titles. You made this difficult process enjoyable!

4 comments:

  1. I can't believe my absolutely brilliant post was erased. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Without going into the psychology of this piece, I think it is absolutely brilliant. It speaks to the base human desire to be wanted or as the song says, “To Love and Be Loved In Return.” Now I understand your response to my posting of “Giving Up” by J-Hol the other night and perhaps you also saw my post of Nancy Wilson singing “I Can’t Make You Love Me.” This piece also reminds me of my favorite song by Incognito – Deep Waters. “Waiting for a train that may never come.”

    I have several titles that came to mind:
    “. . . One Will Come” as in “if you miss one bus another one will come.” The other is “For My Good” as in it definitely is for the speakers own good that he (assuming it’s a he) get out of this situation. But the title that speaks to me most is not an original title but very appropriate. That would be: “If Only For One Night.”

    I think the sentiment is clearly one of resignation to this is all there will be but there is a 600-pound-of-a-gorilla-why in the middle.
    Why, with all that I do for you, you can’t show me even the smallest consideration of a sincere smile in acknowledgment of my value in your life? Why, even when my body quivers at the thought of your touch, you can’t event “touch” me with your eyes? Why, when I put myself second behind your needs, desires, and dreams, you can’t even bestow me with a feeling of being appreciated? The list of why’s goes on and on but I think you see why I thought that title would be appropriate – If only one time you would acknowledge me, then you are still free to leave but I would at least know that I mattered and perhaps made a difference.

    I would love to read more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I could think of was "Lie With Me and Lie To Me". I've had this feeling before and it's like quicksand. Even though I'm slowly sinking, somewhere in my head I think, "I can still get out of this. If I see him one more time, I can still bounce back". All NOs, but just one more YES.

    By the time I got to the end, (Simply Do your best... ) it just reminded me that somehow, maybe you, too, feel like you can get out of the quicksand even though your confession of the situation is chest deep. But you have a whole neck length to go. Next week, it may be lips... I don't know. But this is what I felt and visualized reading this.

    As for the title, again, Lie with Me and Lie to Me... But essentially, I think you nailed it in your own wording. If I saw the title as "Play Your Part", I think it captures the core of what you want/feel (and even how your play opposite him) and what he gives you. But also, "Play your part" as in be a human being dammit and answer me: WHY YOU HERE???

    PS. I think it should really be "Why are you here???" Feels more like the question is serious and needs to be answered whereas "why you here??" makes your emotions become watered down after you expressed all that honesty. Just saying. Food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kenne, interesting observations. Interesting you should question the "why you here" as opposed to "why are you here." An example of the very same thing is evidenced in J-HUD's "Where You At." Grammatically "Where are you?" would be a more appropriate question but to me it's akin to saying to someone "I'm gonna bust you in your face" compared to "I'm gonna burst you in your face" (not that I'm violent). Somehow the "incorrect" language gives it an emotion or depth that proper English would not, i.e., the gloves are off and he done gone stone hood on my behind so I'm going to take him seriously.

    ReplyDelete