Yours Truly

My photo
New York, NY, United States
I'm your everyday, quintessential, slightly above average [pseudo] celebrity/poet/author/executive and personal assistant /voice actor who's talented, creative, charming, some-what funny individual who is indescribable in words. In short, I'm the person you never thought existed until you know me in your own special way.

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Age -- overrated

“21 with a few years’ experience.” Ask me how old I am; that’s the answer you get. It tells you two things: 1) I’m legal, and 2) my age is my business.

People, relax; age ain’t nothing but a thing--a small thing that allows people-who-are-bored-out-of-their-minds-and-need-to-get-a-life to make judgments and false assumptions. We are more than our age…let’s not forget personality, character, dignity, pride, self-respect, and sense of humor. These are just some of the factors that contribute to us being our own, unique individuals.

There was someone, a few years back, I was putting my game on; he gave me this line: I’m looking to get married, not adopt. It was cute. Insulting; yet, also complementing. He must have been born and raised in the south, or spent years working it. My thing was…he didn’t know me or anything about me; don’t let age be a determining factor. Especially when it comes to me, cause I will blow…your…mind. My babyface is another reason I give my “21 with a few years’ experience” standard. PEOPLE CAN’T HANDLE THE TRUTH! (I’m really 22…lol). You know I have to add this: He obviously couldn’t handle all that is me.

Age and looks…total BS! Some people look great for their age; some people look not-so-great for their age; some people look unbelievable regardless of their age; and some people look….well, I’m just going to leave that one alone. Even
I stop at a certain level of meanness. I know people who are 42 and look 32; I know people who are 42 and look 62 (ok, I only know one who looks 62; the rest look 52); and then there’s me….fabulous at every age!

Stop worrying about your age and don’t even bother worrying about someone else’s; it makes absolutely no sense. Embrace yours, go for yours, and do you! As the quote states, “Be who you are…those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” That came from Dr. Seuss, so why is it that many adults STILL don’t understand, accept, and respect those words? Seriously, the only one who minds AND matters is Y.O.U.

Believe it! Live it! Be it!

EMBRACE.

No comments:

Post a Comment